EMT Training in Washington State Requirements
It is necessary to be certified and take EMT training in Washington State. All emergency medical technicians must complete the certification process through the state of Washington. This is true for those looking to become an emergency medical responder, emergency medical technician, advanced EMT or a paramedic. All levels must follow a certification and licensing process for certification and recertification. This also involves having prior EMT training.
Process for certification:
There is a distinct process that must be followed for those looking to become an emergency medical technician, EMT-Basic or paramedic in Washington State.
First you must complete an approved course for EMT training in Washington State. Next you must fill out an application. This includes the following information:
- Your basic information is required. This includes your social security number, your date of birth, address, email and place of birth.
- Background information questions are in the second section including any criminal activity. This section also includes information on your fitness.
- The third area you must fill out is in regards to your EMT training in Washington State. You may also need to include any additional education.
- This is where you will input any health care credentials you have including the state and certifying agency.
- The next is a statement which you must sign and attest to its language.
- The last is a section where you need to include a picture ID. It can be a passport or drivers license.
You must then provide proof that you have passed an approved examination. You will most likely have taken the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians exam. This exam should have followed your EMT training in Washington State.
Lastly you must have an emergency medical services supervisor or medical director sign off on your application. This will most likely be the head of one of the state approved EMS agencies. Following your EMT training in Washington State, you should be given instructions on who to go to in your region to have this signed.
To make sure your application is processed quickly make sure to include all necessary information. Make sure you have clean copies of the requested documents and make sure to be clear with all responses. For out of state applicants you must complete a criminal background check in addition to application. More than likely the entire process will take several weeks before you get any response from the State of Washington
There are several requirements that will most likely necessary to start EMT training in Washington State. These include have an current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider card. You will most likely also have to have a background check completed and show proof of all immunizations. Most programs also like students to have a high school diploma or GED and be at least 18 years old when starting classes.
Emergency medical technicians also must conduct ongoing training. The point of this requirement is to make sure that licensees maintain their skills and keep up with the most current knowledge. Any recertification EMT training in Washington State will also include some skills and written exams to test ability levels.